The original Jake's in Baltimore, located on Hanover St.
Jake and Mary Schneider founded the original Jake’s Seafood House in Baltimore in 1929 on the Patapsco River across the Hanover Street Bridge. Jake’s was one of Baltimore’s first and most prominent seafood houses and outdoor beer gardens, serving its famous fish sandwiches (better known as “swimmers”). The original Jake’s was operated by the Schneider family for close to 50 years.
In 1988, Jake and Mary’s daughter, Rosemary, her son, Bill, and his wife, Lois, opened Jake’s Seafood House in Rehoboth Beach with the same dedication to quality and pride in their recipes that the original Jake’s offered. The Jumbo Lump Crab Cake recipe has been a family secret for over 80 years! To maintain the high, family standards, the food is prepared daily and is cooked to order.
In March 2003, Bill and Lois opened the second Jake’s Seafood House on Coastal Highway in Rehoboth Beach. In 2004, Bill was awarded “Restaurateur of the Year” by the Delaware Restaurant Association. Currently, Bill and Lois still own Jake’s Seafood House at both locations. Their eldest son, Will, started working as a bus boy at the age of 15 and is now the General Manager at the downtown location. Their youngest son, Daniel, served as the General Manager of the highway location for four years. Their daughter, Christina, also worked at the Jake’s downtown location, which is celebrating 28 years of quality service and traditional taste.
Bill's mother & partner, Rosemary, in Jake's Seafood in Rehoboth
Bill's grandmother Mary with Bill's father Irvin & Bill's sisters Sharon & Chelli